October 30, 2010

HMRC, HMRC, Wherefore Art Thou?













Regular readers will know that I picked a fight with the mighty taxman.

My last update was here exactly one month ago.

Some people have told me privately that I should not pick at the scab. That I should let sleeping dogs lie. I cannot.

I cannot because mine is an offensive position, not defensive. I have nothing to fear because I know I am right. I have a feeling that they do as well.

This little war has raged for almost two years. As you will see from the last update, the very best defence they could offer was wrapped up in one single word: nugatory.

And yet, even with their "cast iron" defence, I remain free, no visits to court, and the money is still in my bank account. I have never refused to pay, you may recall. All I did was ask some simple questions. To this day, no controversy exists.

No news, as we all know, is no news. I just wanted to let you all know that absolutely nothing has transpired since their awe-inspiring letter last month.

And absolutely nothing has changed my mind. I am resolute. I am ready.

When we do go toe to toe, I will massacre them. I have a stack of paperwork eight inches tall. They are challenging me with......nugatory.

Bring it on.

CR.

6 comments:

Indyanhat said...

Nugatory, is that the new face of the conservative party..sounds like a Daveism as in hugahoodie...nugatory...just as firkin daft!

IanPJ said...

nugatory [ˈnjuːgətərɪ -trɪ]
adj
1. of little value; trifling
2. not valid; a nugatory law

We shall see.

RantinRab said...

I wonder how easy it is to 'opt out' of PAYE...

I'm sure the tax man and my employer would fight any attempt to buck normality.

defender said...

Rab,
opting out of PAYE = Self employment

Just Woke Up said...

Nugatory! Says it all!

We wait with bated breath to see whether the pen is indeed mightier than the sword...

FireballXL5 said...

Fighting talk Capt., I love it!

It's shaping up as history in the making.