December 15, 2009

An Indulgence



Tonight I was over at JuliaM's place and I spotted an old friend. (Thank you Julia).

I collected everything that Chris de Burgh ever recorded. I thought his music, and his powerful lyrics were a gift from on high. Of course, he bolloxed it all by releasing Lady in Red in 1996, but I forgive him. I saw him live in 1988 and I have not yet seen a live performance to equal his on that particular summer night. I include in this accolade bands like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Queens of the Stone Age, the Foo Fighters and, in Glasgow not too many years ago, the almighty Meatloaf.

Julia got me started with A Spaceman Came Travelling (ironic, given my Exmas post below), and from there I scrolled down memory lane. Crusader, Spanish Train, Where Peaceful Waters Flow, The Head and The Heart, Lonely Sky, Carry Me, and The Road To Freedom, all took me back to another place, long ago and far away. I was younger, slimmer, stupider, I had more hair, no money, and I had fewer cares.

But the heart-breaker for me was always Rosanna. At the same time Mr Chris celebrated the birth of his daughter, Mrs Ranty and I buried yet another child. We lost three, all girls. We got to keep the boys. The first weighed 3lb 2 oz, and the second weighed 5lb 1 oz when they entered the world. The three pounder, now 21 years old, and quite possibly the funniest man I know, is doing well. The five pounder is now 14 and has recently discovered girls. He can use a whole tin of body spray in one go. On the upside, the house smells nice, but it costs me a fortune. I tell him "Less is more", but he says "Meh".

The song, Rosanna, makes me think of what could have been. One of our little ones is buried right next door to Aberdeen FC. We visit often to lay flowers. I miss her terribly. Our first baby is buried in the Netherlands, we miss her as well. We miss them all.

This song helps. It helps a lot.

Have a wee listen.

CR.

6 comments:

Rob Farrington said...

I'd like to say that I listened to it all the way through, but I couldn't after reading the last couple of paragraphs.

I'm so sorry, CR.

Jamie said...

A song I know well. I'm also a fan of the much maligned C de B, especially his albums from the late 70s and early 80s, and I've seen him give some tremendous live performances over the years. Was that concert you mention in 1988 on the tour that had Runrig as his support?

As a fairly recent father I can only begin to imagine the grief you must have felt and still feel.

Here's to the therapy that music can bring...

Captain Ranty said...

Thanks Rob. It happened a long time ago but the song made it all seem like only a few moments had passed.

CR.

Captain Ranty said...

Jamie, thank you for your kind words.

I have dug deep but I just cannot remember who supported him. I don't think it was Runrig but I could be wrong.

I still have the ticket somewhere, it will probably have the info on there.

CR.

richard said...

that's a poignant post. i have 3 boys too, they were hefty when born, the lightest was 9lb6oz. but like your family, there would have been six. aye, conception to birth is a dangerous journey. it's just bad luck, and part of being human but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

Captain Ranty said...

Sorry to hear that Richard. Wow! Just one of yours weighed more than both of mine.

There's a wifey in our village who has had four children. The smallest weighed 14lb2oz. He is known as The Runt.

CR.