November 30, 2009

UKIP Or More Of The Same?



The choice is yours.

I hadn't intended to ring UKIP's bell, but having listened to Lord Pearson, and given the reaction to my previous post "Theft Report", it seems appropriate. Fault his reasoning, if you can. Tell me that this party is not our salvation, if you can. No other party makes the same promises. No other party makes sense anymore, to me at least. My preference, in point of fact, would be a parliament led by Chris Mounsey and the LPUK, but they say they have a lot of work to do to get there.

By way of a follow-up to yesterdays post, I have embedded the Lisbon Treaty in my title. I have now read it twice. For those who think it is peppered with legalese, rest easy. It is not. It demands careful reading though because it is peppered with cognitive dissonance. You also need to remember several things: this document is a contract. There is not a fair contract in anyone's possession anywhere on earth. Not one. Ask a contract lawyer. Contracts favour the authors, not the people they are purportedly written for or about. This contract, between 27 diverse nations, is no different. Remember too, as you work your way down the 294 pages, that there are many references to the earlier contracts such as the Treaty of Rome, the Treaty of Maastricht, the Treaty of Nice and the Treaty of Amsterdam. Far from overwriting those earlier treaties, they encompass whole swathes of the earlier writings.

This bastard union has been many years in the making, and we are affected by it every single day, we have been since as long ago as 1974. The last 13 years have been particularly brutal as Labour shat out EU statutes at a rate of just over one per day when parliament was in session. 2822 statutes. Just how many of those do you imagine your elected MP/MSP/Ass Member actually read? My guess would be a big fat zero. Very few people, and I include the Minister for Europe in this statement, have actually read this treaty.

If you haven't read this document before, you should. At midnight it becomes your bible. Sadly, it holds nothing soothing, just gibberish that combines Union Law with unelected and unaccountable zealots in Brussels and Strasbourg, which, when blended, become a nightmarish, Orwellian future for 500 million ignorant souls.

If you lose the will to live around page 26, struggle on, like I did. Twice. Your life is about to change for the foreseeable future, thanks to these pages. You might as well know what's in 'em.

That something wicked that was this way coming?

It's here.

CR.

14 comments:

Katabasis said...

Captain - don't suppose I could humbly request a link to Part 1 of my analysis of the consolidated treaties? (more to come this weekend pending no emergencies or last minute work dumped on me...)

Witterings from Witney said...

Cap'n, yet again you excel yourself! We can but hope the electorate open their eyes, and more importantly, the media allow them to open their eyes!

Captain Ranty said...

Katabasis,

Stand by, I am about to publish.

CR.

Unknown said...

R.I.P. Great Britain, you have been mortally wounded by the enemies within!

Great post CR, as usual.

TBY

Captain Ranty said...

WfW,

Thank you.

I learned a lesson today. I am not universally loved! It was a little unnerving to watch as my humble abode was visited by over 1,200 people. (My normal numbers average 100-200).

I followed some of the visitors back to a huge variety of fora and was a little surprised to see what people had written on their own blogs about me. Not all were complimentary, and many had misquoted and/or misunderstood what I had written.

Some had valid points about how I write so I will use that to improve.

I guess I had better grow a thicker skin.

CR.

Captain Ranty said...

Thanks TBY.

This monster has been nosing around for years. It is finally here.

Let's see what it does.

CR.

Unknown said...

Katabasis, another blog I need to add to the F2C blogroll, keep up the good work, some of us are great unwashed are depending on you and the likes of CR.

TBY

Rob F said...

CR, there's no problem with the way you write.

While I have my doubts when it comes to posts about the Windsors owning the US (for example), there's no doubt that when it comes to subjects like the EU and the loss of our essential freedoms, you're not only spot on, but essential reading.

I read around a dozen different political blogs every day but you're at the top of my bookmarks list, along with Leg-iron and Dick Puddlecote.

Anonymous said...

With no sunshine clause set to expire the treaty, it means Hitler's 1,000 year hope may now be exceeded indefinitely.

Meantime, to withdraw requires practically an act of God and is only vaguely spelt out.

They should have included a Minister of Orwell in a Department of Huxley amongst their job titles for how it is being planned to operate.

Captain Ranty said...

Rob,

Kind of you to say so.

I tend to write about what I find plausible and I always try to ensure that I double- or triple-check the source. I was satisfied that the US/Crown story was well researched.

There is so much we are kept in the dark about that almost nothing surprises me anymore.

CR.

Captain Ranty said...

Anon,

Thanks. What worries me most is the number of people waking up today thinking that LT is a harmless device that will not impact them negatively.

We will see.

CR.

wonderfulforhisage said...

I've sent the link to this post to five close friends and asked that it be passed on. I'm usually a bit too embarrassed to impose my politics on friends via emails but this seemed so important and well argued that I broke my usual rule.

Incidently, I searched high and low for the 'Post a Comment' button on your blog. When I eventually found it I couldn't believe I'd overlooked it. None the less it took some finding, but then my old eyes are a little past their best. Maybe it would be better in larger print?

Captain Ranty said...

Thank you WFHA.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer with this blogger stuff but I will see what I can do.

(If there are any whizz-kids out there who know how to do this, please let me know).

CR.

mike said...

This is my first time to read and comment upon your blog. I applaud what you are doing, and wish you the very best of fortune.

However, if I may intrude a little I would like to offer a small objection...

"Fault his reasoning, if you can.

... Lord Pearson says much to which I can only nod my head in agreement, yet his insistence upon the restoration, and even enhancement, of British democracy evokes a definite uneasiness in me. I've always thought of the allied soldiers of World War Two fighting for the cause of individual liberty - which must not be equated to what has simply turned out to be the most popular method for directing the expansion of state power.