March 09, 2011

View From My Hotel
















As you can see, my view is spoiled by those giant corporations.

Tesco, on the left, attracts most of the footfall, and Asda, in prime position on the corner, comes a close second. In the middle is Lidl, and she doesn't get much business at all. Stunning, when you learn, (as I did), that all three sell fags, sweets, drinks, fags, phone cards, fags, nuts, fruit, fags, and fags. All of it is "Cheap-cheap, Monsieur!" the ladies tell me. I favour Lidl's because she doesn't get many nationals, never mind international customers. Plus, I always support the underdog.

I have seen dozens of multi-coloured lizards about 18" long but the buggers will not stand still long enough for me to take pictures.

I have seen one set of working traffic lights (which everyone ignores) in the whole city. The traffic flows beautifully. I think our problems in our cities is due to the active traffic lights. We should switch them all off. As my driver, Jonas, said to me this morning "Here, everybody assumes they have priority at all times and everybody respects that". It should be chaotic but it just isn't.

All in all, not a bad place to be. I am melting in the 34 degree heat but I am rehydrating with French beer and that old stand-by, Gordons gin. Smoking in bars is a pure delight. No-one complains. No fake coughs and no infantile hand-waving. Bliss!

Right, I'm off to hunt down some passive lizards for you....

CR.

18 comments:

Sue said...

I'm jealous! It's even raining here in the Costa del Sol.. but, in the smaller backstreet bars, they're pretty much ignoring the smoking ban. Most of the guardia smoke so nobody is enforcing anything.... yet!

Anonymous said...

If you want to photograph lizards, early in the morning is the time to do it. They'll be cold and sluggish from the night, and out basking in the sun to warm up so much easier photographic targets.

Captain Ranty said...

Sue,

It is dry season now. When it starts raining it doesn't stop for 4 months.

I'm supposed to come back here in a few weeks. Better bring my brolly!

CR.

Captain Ranty said...

Thanks Dr Dan.

I'll get up earlier and look around the hotel garden. There are hundreds of them in there but they are sneaky.

I've noticed that they can move at a fair lick when they feel threatened.

CR.

Oldrightie said...

How I love local shops and stalls. No globalisation shotgun selling there, me thinks.

James Higham said...

They have roads?

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

Smoking in pubs? What a delight!

Woman on a Raft said...

Thanks! Lovely post.

I look forward to the lizard hunt.

Mr Numba Cruncha said...

Not a pothole in sight either!!

Leg-iron said...

Swine.

Aberdeenshire woke to snow this morning. Not much, but it's bitterly cold and there's not a single pub we can smoke inside.

Which is why my house is stocked with booze and ashtrays.

At least we had National No Smoking day today, which made my cigar taste so much better.

Woodsy42 said...

I notice Tesco has the biggest bike park, starting as they mean to continue.

Stealth: of the Mode family said...

Cheering post, looking forward to seeing these stealth lizards :D

mescalito said...

Ranty man, could you please do a post on the census rebellion taking place in london on the 26th of march???

mescalito said...

http://www.resist26.org/

mescalito said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaBvKE-gILM&feature=watch_response

Anthony said...

CR,
You have a doppleganger!

Check out "Colonel Shouty" in the comments...

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2011/03/the-first-serious-census-responses-come-flooding-in.html#comments

Quote - "Lawful rebellion" is a load of nonsense. It's like being bukkake'd with stupidity.

JuliaM said...

"I have seen dozens of multi-coloured lizards about 18" long but the buggers will not stand still long enough for me to take pictures."

Probably don't want to end up grilled on a stick to be sold at the local emporium!

Captain Ranty said...

Thanks all, for your comments.

Internet is really poor here. I had to pay CFA45,000 (around £60) for one weeks access and it isn't much better than dial-up. It is making blogging difficult.

I have seen loads of the multi-coloured jobs but I never seem to have my bloody camera ready.

Julia, I checked with Mrs Lidl. She says they don't eat them. "The tribes up north, however", she said, "Will eat anything".

My emails from you lot are backing up as well. Plenty of emails on a variety of subjects so thank you for those. I have read them but have not had the time to reply to them all. I will reply soonest.

CR.