February 09, 2012

Altered Images

Saw this on Twitter earlier today and I thought I'd bung it on here.

For various reasons, images were doctored (early photo-shopping?) and the result is a skewed look on the events that created that need. Nothing I saw was earth-shattering but it did get me thinking: what other images have they doctored over the years? And how much text (easier to manipulate by far) have they messed with?

These altered images don't change the world, as far as I can tell. But it is disturbing.

Speaking of things altered, I have seen my visitor stats improve month on month. I see the articles here linked to all over the place, more people are rating the articles and many more are tweeting them. All good, you might say, except that as this blog grows its exposure, I am seeing numbers that do not reflect what is obvious. My Wikio rating slips lower even as the exposure gets more widespread.

These altered numbers don't change the world, as far as I can tell. But it too is disturbing.

CR.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting CR. Makes one wonder dunt it?

Michael Fowke said...

Don't worry about your Wikio rating. It's a load of nonsense.

Captain Ranty said...

lazy,

It does indeed.

CR.

Captain Ranty said...

Michael,

I know that, but if a thing is to be done, it should be done properly.

If it happens again this month I'll just delete the widget.

CR.

James Higham said...

Damn - you got in early. I have these scheduled.

Captain Ranty said...

Sorry James!

Your write up will be 10 times better than my attempt.

Go for it!

CR.

George Speller said...

OS maps have been doctored in the past to hide military sites. The nuke factory at Burgfield used to be represented by a blank field with a non-existent stream running through it. Later OS maps tell the truth, which is a strange twist on the usual way of doing things.
If they doctor geography there's no reason to suppose they don't doctor history!

Anonymous said...

there sneaky bastards all right cap,
g.s. your right check out earths forbidden secrets on the crowhouse.com by max igan.
nige.